On Jan 27, 1945 – 75 years ago – the Soviet Army liberated over 7000 prisoners at Auschwitz. These quotes are from survivors of Auschwitz, with the exception of the first quote that is so powerful that I wanted to include it in this list.
- Wenn es einen Gott gibt muse r mich um Verzeihung bitten. (If there is a God, He will have to beg my forgiveness). Unknown, Mauthausen Concentration Camp prison cell wall.
- All of a sudden you are told to leave it all and walk out with a single suitcase. Irene Fogel Weiss, Survivor
- I realize that loss of faith in people is more devastating than loss of faith in God. Irene Fogel Weiss, Survivor
- I had survivor’s guilt. Edith Eger, Survivor.
- So, let us be alert – – alert in a twofold sense. Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of. And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake. Victor E Frankl, Man’s Search for Meaning.
- No matter what I accomplish, it doesn’t seem like much compared to surviving Auschwitz. Art Spiegelman, Maus II: A Survivor’s Tale: And Here My Troubles Began.
- To remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all. Elie Wiesel.
- Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. Elie Wiesel.